Blackpool Shopping and Retail Campus Cork – The SMART shopping and retail campus
Blackpool shopping centre is one of Munster’s largest shopping centre and retail campus. Established in the early 2000’s, it is spread over a large area, consisting of a retail park and parking (26,870 sqm), 1,800 car spaces incl multi-storey carpark, office space, (10,080 sqm) and main shopping centre.
SenSys Tender Bid
In 2016 SenSys Technology participated in the tender process to:
- upgrade the shopping Centre and retail campus standalone analogue CCTV systems;
- upgrade the control room;
- integrate all other building systems to include integration with existing:
- Building Management systems;
- Fire Alarms;
- Intruder Alarms;
- Access Control systems;
- Smoke Management systems;
- Automatic Number Plate Recognition;
- Footfall counting
After a competitive tender process, SenSys Technology was awarded the project. Key phases included:
- Commissioning & testing
- Project management
The project undertaken by Sensys Technology consisted of migrating the existing 160 analogue CCTV cameras and infrastructure to a Milestone Corporate IP CCTV system. The existing shopping centre and retail campus system comprised of several analogue DVR’s located in four different areas of the site, all of which were transmitting video back to the main comms room using COE coax over fibre transmitters.
The migration also included integrating the existing Siemens intruder alarm panels with Milestone Corporate to generate alarms in the XProtect Smartclient alarm manager along with full maintenance of the system. The control room was fully upgraded including the installation of two display workstations with quad video output graphics cards to display the Smartwall and Smartclient on two 50-inch wall-mounted monitors and five desk monitors, all controlled using an X-assist keyboard/Joystick.
Finally, an ANPR solution was installed, including fifteen ANPR cameras spread across the main shopping centre, retail campus and multi-storey carpark. The majority of the ANPR cameras were mounted on galvanized steel poles with IP67 rated enclosures mounted on them to house network switches and coax to ethernet converters to utilize the existing coax which was cabled to the individual comms rooms.
For the techies:
Systems and Sub-systems involved
Supply and installation and maintenance of:
- Dell 21 terabyte CCTV server with Milestone Corporate installed
- 5x 24 port with fibre uplinks and multimode GBIC adapters
- 10x 16 port ACTi v32 analogue to IP encoders to convert existing 160 analogue cameras to IP for use with Milestone VMS
- 2x 8 port ACTi v31 analogue to IP encoders for use with Milestone VMS
- 5x Axis 1080P P5635-E MK II 50HZ PTZ cameras to replace existing PTZ cameras in key locations
- 15 lanes of ANPR cameras utilizing existing coaxial infrastructure using coax to ethernet converters. Integrated with custom control room software to allow easy entry of registrations to verify car overstays.
- 2x Intel core i7 display workstations with quad video graphics cards to run the Smartclient and Smartwall software over 7x control room screens.
- 3x Siemens SPC 6300 alarm panels integrated with the Smartclient alarm manager utilizing serial to ethernet converters and configured through Milestone transact
Before the control room upgrade:
Prior to the upgrade, the control room had several ‘old’ standalone monitors built into security console furniture. The monitors were controlled by a joystick and driven by a traditional CCTV matrix.
- The control room walls had controls for intruder alarms, fire alarms, smoke systems, intercoms, barrier controls that had been added over the years.
- The control room is manned 24/7 by onsite security staff. The security staff would manually ‘patrol’ the live CCTV footage. This proved difficult as patrolling 180 cameras across a 13-acre campus proved difficult.